6 months in sounds like an ideal time to take stock, what with it being New Year and all that too. Here's 5 words that come to mind:
1. Incredulous: the only word for the reaction of most people to whom I say that we moved from France to Scotland. Followed by the question "But why?"
2. L'étranger: the first and one of the few French novels I've read; also the French word for "foreigner" and "stranger", which pretty much sums up how I feel back in Scotland.
3. Salad: of all the food I could miss from France, this is it. What the French call salade and we call lettuce. Why is it so limited here? Could we not move on from iceberg lettuce? I used to think of it as just rabbit food, but having eaten so much of it, with everything, enlivened by vinaigrette, I really miss it...
4. Carpets: the carpet vs parquet/tiled-floor debate goes on, but it would seem that I've changed sides.
5. Welcoming: everyone we've met since we got here. Thank you.